(CNN) – Camille Schrier, a student at the University of Virginia Commonwealth (VCU) who advocates for medication safety, was crowned Miss America 2020 on Thursday night at the Mohegan Sun Earth Convention and Exhibition Center in Uncasville, Connecticut.
Schrier was elected over Miss Georgia Victoria Hill by a panel of three famous judges.
Schrier, who gave a demonstration of chemistry on hydrogen peroxide during the talent competition, was crowned by Nia Franklin, of New York, Miss America in 2019.
The new Miss America told the public during her presentation that she plans to obtain a doctorate in pharmaceuticals from VCU, in Richmond, Virginia. He already has university degrees in biochemistry and systems biology from Virginia Tech.
A year will pass in promotion of the Mind Your Meds campaign: medication safety and prevention of pediatric abuse to geriatrics.
Miss Missouri Simone Esters was in the top three but failed to cut after the final trio advocated its social causes.
The contestants were rated by singer Kelly Rowland, "Queer Eye" star Karamo Brown and "Superstore" actress Lauren Ash.
Last year, the competition announced that it would stop judging women for their outward appearance and dismissed their highly criticized swimsuit competition. Now, the organization says, contestants have more time to advocate for their social impact initiatives and make their voice heard.
During the preliminary competitions, 51 contestants took the stage for personal interviews, talent shows and social impact statements.
The other participants in the top 15 were:
- Miss Oklahoma Addison Price, third finalist, eliminated after talent competition
- Miss Connecticut Jillian Duffy, fourth finalist, eliminated after talent show
- Miss Alabama Tiara Pennington, eliminated after the first stage interview
- Miss Colorado Monica Thompson, eliminated after the first interview on stage
- Miss California Eileen Kim
- Miss Florida Michaela McLean
- Miss Hawaii Nicole Holbrook
- Miss Kansas Annika Wooton
- Miss New Jersey Jade Glab
- Miss North Carolina Alexandra Badgett
- Miss New York Lauren Molella
- Miss Texas Chandler Foreman
Elizabeth Wolfe and Saeed Ahmed contributed to this report.