The Prosecutor of Saudi Arabia announced Monday that five people have been sentenced to death for the murder of the journalist Yamal Khashoggi in October of last year at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul. Saudi attorney general Saud al Muagab said in a press conference that there are other penalties for six other convicts.
Khashoggi was a US citizen and critic of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman. He was last seen at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on October 2, 2018, where he was to receive the documents before his wedding. According to reports, his body was dismembered and removed from the building, and their remains have not been found.
The murder caused a global uproar, blurring the image of the crown prince. The CIA and some Western governments have said that they believe that Prince Mohammed ordered the murder, but Saudi authorities say it had no role. Eleven Saudi suspects were tried for their death in a secret process in Riyadh.
Saudi prosecutor Shalaan al-Shalaan, reading the preliminary verdict at the trial, also said that Saud al-Qahtani, a former high-profile Saudi royal adviser, had been investigated but was not charged and released.